A bride-to-be did what any of us would do after finding out her future mother-in-law wanted to wear her own wedding dress to the wedding: she sought out advice on Facebook.

The exchange with the bride-to-be and her fiancee's mother went from being shared on Facebook, featured on Imgur, to going viral on Reddit's Monster-in-Law subreddit.

In the viral text exchange, the bride-to-be discovers her fiance's mother already picked out a dress for the Fall 2022 wedding. Surprised, she texted her future MIL to see what the dress looks like. That's when she realized the joke is on her.

"I told my baby that I HAD a dress and did not purchase one," the fiance's mother texted back. That's when the bride-to-be asked to see the dress.

"You have already seen it. Did I not show you my wedding album last week?" the mother-in-law continued. She then sends a picture of a long-sleeve lace gown—her old wedding dress—laid out on the floor.

In an attempt to ease tensions, the bride-to-be offers to help her fiance's mother find a new dress for the big day.

Viral Reddit Post About MIL
A bride-to-be was "at an absolute loss for words" after finding out her future mother-in-law was planning on wearing a wedding dress to her son's wedding. The mother-in-law argued that she could wear her dress because she was paying for over half of the wedding. Imgur

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude or anything but you're planning on wearing your wedding dress to our wedding? We could help you find a similar one that fits our planned colours instead," the bride texted back.

To her dismay, her future MIL unleashed her wrath via text message. "Do not play these games with me you skank," she replied. "It is MY sons wedding and I am paying for over half of it. I will wear whatever f**king dress I please and if you have something to say about it... well, good luck to your family because Lord knows they are too poor to afford it seeing as I am already paying for more than half."

In an attempt to fully guilt trip the bride-to-be, she continued on. "Don't you dare even think about trying to ruin this moment for me. You know the rest of my children will not get married in my lifetime and this is the only wedding of my children that I will be a part of."

At first, the bride was shocked at the explosive exchange and wasn't even sure it was worth fighting over. But in an attempt to ease tensions, she ultimately decided to tell her fiance about the situation. After explaining everything to her fiance, he replied, "That is not my mother that is a demon in her skin" and "don't doubt ya. She can be cruel to others but skank are you f**king me??"

That's when the bride's fiance took matters into his own hands and started speaking directly to his mother. "How can you talk to XXX like that? What you said to her was HORRIBLE I literally cannot believe you did that" the son wrote to his mother.

While the mother did not reply to her son, she did feel the need to fight with her future daughter even more by sending a screenshot of the now-viral Facebook post.

"HOW DARE YOU DO YOU HAVE NO RESPECT???" the woman wrote under the screenshot. "We have been so gracious to accept you into our family and this is how you repay us?? By making our family look bad on the Facebook? You should be ASHAMED of yourself. How could you make me look so bad?"

Angry Text Screenshots
The woman's mother-in-law got angry after she found out the text conversation was posted to Facebook. She then told the bride-to-be to leave her son alone. Imgur

But it didn't end there. The MIL continued on her rant and texted, "You can finally have my blessing...to leave my son alone B**CH."

The bride to be said she was at a complete loss for words and that is why she felt the need to share the exchange online. Now strangers are supporting the bride and have labeled her fiance's mother the "Wicked Witch of the Wedding," and the worst MIL people have ever seen.

wedding gown
A bride-to-be's post about her future mother-in-law went viral on Reddit after she found out she wants to wear a wedding dress to her son's wedding. The future bride offered to help her fiance's mother find a new dress for the big day. Tom Merton/Getty Images

One user commented on the Reddit thread, "This poor woman and her fiance need to decline her money, elope and never speak to her again. Oof."

Other users took to Reddit to share their similar situations, with one user writing, "My FIL called me a whore first time meeting the bastard and I promptly cut a lot of contact. Barely seen him in the years since and I would honestly prefer less. Poor girl with this MIL needs to cut contact, cut her funding off, elope, and RUNNNNN. Momma's boy needs to do some growing up or he will get left behind too!"

Many of the commenters agreed that the woman's fiance had a choice to make: making his mother happy or making his future wife happy.